Organ Rebuild >> St. Marks' Episcopal Cathedral,
Foley-Baker is honored to have been selected to completely rebuild the Cathedral’s Chancel pipe organ. The instrument started life in 1928 as Welte-Tripp Opus 258. Throughout the ensuing decades, it was modified tonally and mechanically, culminating with a new console in 1990.
The flurry of change would have seen most organs lose their identity; however when tonally analyzed, it became evident that the surviving Welte pipe work still flavored the organ’s overall impact. It was certainly worthy of retaining as a base for an all new instrument that will has a voice of its own, albeit with the Welte flavor that has always seasoned its sound.
Work took 16 months and included removal of the entire instrument to our Tolland shops.
- A totally new layout of the organ that assured excellent sound projection and good service access.
- An all new Chassis with special, high pressure slider chests, custom built by Organ Supply Industries of Erie, PA.
- The original triple exhaust Spencer Blower and its 15 h.p. S.A. Woods motor, were completely rebuilt.
- New chamber walls were built of double-ply ¾” MDF and the original, industrial strength Welte shades reused to create super-expressive enclosed divisions.
- The special, low profile c: 1990 Schantz console was modified to accommodate the division layouts and a new state of the art switching system.
The entire project was completed in April of 2012. A wonderful inaugural program on May 19th, featured a special concert of organ, soloists and choirs all conducted by Ray Johnston, the Cathedral's Cannon Musician.